Wednesday 8 May 2019

Between the bourgeoisie (a rock) and the state (a hard place) or why I got this tattoo.

The underclass is a kind of fuck all that's hard to describe. Beneath and disliked by the working class, it’s less not working, more doing labour that isn't considered valid (care or criminalized; drug dealers, sex workers etc.) or just being illegal.

The community who raise me worked hard and got nowhere; and were a constant reminder I lived in the inverse of meritocracy. Relying on benefits and stealing, I came to believe I’d never survive from my own labour or by myself: basically, I was in an abusive relationship with the state.

I got day tickets out of poverty for being artistic. The offers never extended to my siblings whom i took care of. The bourge wanted me when it was interesting and called it social mobility. But people cant live in bourge heaven, only things (objects or tokens) and my actual condition was less appealing. I am thankful teachers fed my art practice but at times I couldn’t meet my basic needs.  At age 20 I was Team GB snow sculpture captain on an all expenses paid tour of China. Three months later I was homeless again, in hospital again and destitute. The bourge is a shit Dad who takes you out, gives you everything you want and then ditches you back at ya mams for months.

I recall my kid brother recently seeing “Refugees welcome, bring your families” on a sticker, he said it made it all sound so casual! Why shouldn't it be? I refuse to exist as proof it’s possible to get out of poverty with hard work. Actually, I got "out" because I am white, able bodied, had an abortion when I got pregnant and went to art school (non of these were really choices). 


Then, last year I wrote for BBL - my first time making art about and for people like me. Around the same time (late to the party) i discovered the words tramp stamp and wow what a classist discovery! immediately i knew what it meant and wanted one. There was only one word that i could think to put on my butt. so here is to more than not forgetting from were i came, but never betraying the people i love who are still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment